The Network Planning Analyst will provide planning and project management functions required to develop and deploy new fiber optic cable networks or overbuilds of existing networks. This position provides technical expertise and research in evaluating and formulating recommendations in response to internal needs an industry direction and developments in key technology areas. This position will primarily focus on the functional areas of fiber optic network analysis and design. The position will be located at corporate headquarters in Lisle, IL reporting to the Executive Director of Network Planning.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the following essential duties. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Assist the Executive Director of Network Planning with project budgets, project coordination, scheduling and implementation of network related projects to support fiber optic provisioning for new and existing fiber networks.
- Perform OSP and equipment cost studies, build estimates/analysis, and business cases are mandatory requirements. The equipment is predominantly fiber optic cable, high-capacity DWDM transport equipment, and fiber optic transceivers.
- Strategic role in coordinating and planning with Sales teams and Engineers regarding current, future and past opportunities, Assist with the identification of cost saving opportunities in the areas of construction methods and supply chain.
- Provide daily technical guidance and assistance to support peer Network Planning staff.
- Knowledge reading and writing fiber network schematics is required. Familiarity with Google Earth and similar geographic information systems.
- Knowledge in designing fiber optic telecommunications technologies. Familiarity with practices/standards pertaining to the fiber construction, costing, lighting buildings, DWDM, Ethernet, SONET, and CLEC facilities.
- Must have skills in defining, evaluating, solving and presenting alternatives to complex engineering problems and in applying engineering and economic principles while conducting studies and surveys to analyzing a network or network design into component parts.
- Develop, plan, and compile network planning standards and guidelines for fiber and distributed network construction.
- Assist Sales and Sales Engineering by identifying and screening dark fiber opportunities.
- Project management with the ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects.
- Demonstrated utilization of reliability-centered design principles.
- Ability to demonstrate clear, informative, persuasive and collaborative verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have the ability to work independently and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Exhibit honesty, integrity and courtesy in all interactions.
- Possess strong work ethic in supporting customer needs, responding promptly and consistently.
- Knowledge and understanding of a range of networking and voice software and hardware systems and related technologies.
- Ability to generate information on fiber distance and types to input into a business case.
- A familiarity with fiber optic technology, vendors, and construction methods is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field and/or equivalent work experience
- Minimum five (5) years Planning, Engineering, or other relevant experience in either network engineering, network planning, or outside plant construction, planning, or engineering in either a utility, telecommunications, wireless, or construction environment
- An understanding of OSI layer 1 and layer 2 applications, especially dark fiber.