The HR Operations Manager is responsible for accurate and compliant HR operations. Specifically, this position manages the Company payroll, HR information system (UltiPro), compliance reporting, and benefits administration. Duties include administering payroll to our distributed workforce (25+ states and Canada), ensuring accurate pay in accordance with federal state wage and hour laws, timely and complete reporting for internal and external requests/filings, and overall responsibility as a "super user" for our HRIS. Support the administration of the overall benefits program ensuring that it is compliant with statutory and regulatory requirements. This is a key position supporting a high growth organization.
Manage and guarantee semi-monthly disbursement of multi-state payroll, including garnishments, benefits and taxes consistent with federal, state and provincial wage and hour laws.
- Ensure the processing of new hires, temporary employees, transfers, promotions and terminations in a timely and accurate manner.
- Demonstrate knowledge of state and federal taxes, withholding laws, and wage deduction legalities resulting in accurate payroll administration.
- Develop new policies and internal controls to ensure the accuracy of data and compliance with applicable standards and specifications.
- Train managers on HR system.
- Assist employees with payroll, time-off and 401(k) related questions.
- Audit W-4s, payroll balance sheets, YTD earnings, etc.
- Partner with HR to implement and continue to enhance UltiPro system.
- Ensure systems are set up and updated to reflect our current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time.
- Develop and manage regular preparation of relevant management reports.
- Work with payroll provider to ensure and/or prepare state and federal reports.
- Support HR with Workers’ Compensation claims and audits.
- Responsible for supporting and/or completing all regulatory benefits compliance, such as 5500 processing, ACA reporting, 401(k) testing and insurance updates and audits.
- Support the development of the benefits open enrollment materials and updates to the system to reflect new plans.
- Reconcile and submit for payment monthly insurance invoices.
- Manages the UltiPro HR/Payroll software, providing HRIS support, troubleshooting, system upgrades, data analysis, system administration, implementing new features and managing integrations.
- As needed, support acquisition integration and other projects as assigned.
No direct reports. Work collaboratively with HR, Finance, IT and other internal and external partners.
Education and Experience
- BA or AA from an accredited college or university in accounting, business administration or a related field preferred.
- 5-7 years of directly relevant, complex payroll experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation preferred.
- Recent experience in a position having significant payroll responsibilities in a multi-state, growth environment is required. Canadian payroll experience a plus.
- General payroll, bookkeeping, record keeping and filing procedures.
- Knowledge and proficiency in the operation and use of HRIS systems, UltiPro highly desired, system conversion experience a plus. Intermediate to advanced Excel skills and solid MS Office suite skills required.
- 2+ years benefits administration experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team, have positive interpersonal communication skills, and be self-motivated, resourceful and self-disciplined.
- Excellent follow-through and attention to detail.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable laws and regulations which impact preparation of payrolls.
- Unquestionable integrity and ability to work confidentially with discretion on privileged and sensitive information.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
Office environment, extensive computer use. Little to no travel.