The Fixed Network Planning Engineer plays a major role in a large variety of internal and external resources involved in the company’s indoor distributed antenna system (DAS) deployments where fiber design and engineering is required. The Network Planning Engineer operates to support key teams across the company where needed and to implement new standards for fiber design, engineering and design along with communicating strategies for new project deployments, upgrades and maintenance.
The Network Planning Engineer will assist to fiber providers to determine economic and technical viability of their infrastructure in areas where ExteNet is deploying networks, working closely to deploy a system to house build out for fiber deployments, assisting with the Network Operations Center to ensure accurate depictions of the network area, troubleshooting purposes, coordinating with regional Network Design, Network engineering and External Relations teams to deliver quality proposals in a timely fashion. Communications for fiber inventory and site engineering to internal and external teams will be essential for overall design and internal documentation.
- Maintain and communicate to a list of qualified fiber partners.
- Assist in setting standards for new fiber deployment and close out documents.
- Review final as built to original design and create tracking documents.
- Review, select, maintain and develop tools for tracking fiber provisioning for each of ExteNet’s networks including GIS tools, fiber locator, and fiber economics.
- Monitor internal compliance with fiber standards, cataloging as built information on installed and provisioned fiber strands for each of ExteNet’s indoor networks
- Investigate new methods of fiber deployment and ways to more efficiently deploy them cost effectively.
- Design/Draft new fiber plans, splice matrix and review fiber test results.
- Capture and Create field engineering information needed to prepare desk top cost scenarios and final budgetary estimates.
- Minimum 5 years technical and hands on experience in a technology deployment environment handling simultaneous projects and communicating at a manager level. Ideally the candidate will have experience working in one of the major fiber deployment companies.
- Experience working in an engineering, operations or product management role with wireless systems and/or fiber optics communications companies. Specific experience with both indoor distributed antenna systems and/or carrier experience is highly desirable.
- Engineering experience or other customer interface experience is a plus.
- Bachelor of Science (technical degree preferred) or a combination school and equivalent work experience).
- Strong communications skills with a polished ability to communicate both formally and informally with multiple, distinct audiences, including internal teams, management, customers, contractors, and external resources.
- Proficiency in MS Office Tools (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Visio). GIS and CAD Experience a plus.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in relevant industries and in a program engineering or other responsible roles for managing multiple mid to large scale wireless and / or landline telecommunications engineering and implementation programs.